- Student Affairs accounts must use a ‘passphrase’ rather than a password.
- Passphrases must be 15 characters at a minimum.
- Passphrases should be created that are standard, grammatical sentences/phrases which are meaningful to the account holder. This includes spaces between words, punctuation, and proper case as required.
- One word in the passphrase should be intentionally misspelled.
- There is no specific complexity requirement. However, the usage of proper sentences/phrases with spaces and punctuation meets complexity requirements.
- Account passphrases must be changed every year. The passphrase selected cannot be the same as any of the previous three passphrases.
- A passphrase must be set on an account for 24 hours before it can again be changed.
- On account creation, accounts are assigned a sufficiently complex password. The account owner must change the password to their passphrase at first login.
- After 5 failed login attempts, the account in question is locked out for 15 minutes.
- Account passphrases may not be shared with other people. Account sharing is only allowed for special purpose accounts and after prior approval for their purpose.
- If an account password is forgotten, the account owner must go to their IT support unit with their UO ID. With identification, they will be able to reset their password to a new passphrase.